BMI Federal Credit Union
Getting Your Home Summer Ready
Don't be Left Out to Dry this Summer
Summer’s right around the corner, which means it’s time to start getting your home ready for the hot months ahead. Surprisingly, there’s a lot of preparation that goes into getting your home ready for the summer, and it can be overwhelming. But not to worry, we’ve broken it down into the five top things you can do to make sure summer doesn’t take you by surprise!
- Check to make sure your air conditioner is in good working order. Hot summer months means you’re going to need to rev up the good’ol air conditioner. Since you probably haven’t used it in a while, it’s a good idea to make sure it’s working properly before the hot weather hits. Turn on your system and listen for any rattling or strange noises (if you hear anything, you should call a professional.) If you have an outdoor unit, make sure to clear away any debris that may have collected around it during the winter and spray it down with your garden hose. After the system has been running for about 20 minutes, go back inside to check the temperature. If the air feels cool and your house is cooling down, then your air conditioner is ready to go. If it’s not, then it’s time to call in a professional.
- Clean your windows. If you’re going to be letting in the fresh air, make sure to clean your windows. Your windows have most likely accumulated a lot of dirt and debris over winter, and you don’t want any of that blowing into your house. Don’t forget to check your window sills for dead insects!
- Trim your trees. Take a look at your trees and bushes and remove any branches that are diseased, dead, pest-ridden or rubbing together. This will ensure that they stay healthy and look beautiful all year round.
- Check your hose. Make sure your water bills aren’t sky high this summer by checking your hose for any holes or leaks. Don’t rush to throw away your hose if you do find a leak, small holes can easily be repaired with electrical or hose repair tape. If you find a bigger hole, it can be fixed using a special hose repair kit.
- Check the status of your weather stripping. Weather stripping is what goes around your windows and doors to make sure they stay sealed, and if it’s not in tip-top shape it can lead to excess moisture and the raising of your energy bill by as much as 30%. Go around to all your doors and windows to see if any of your weather stripping is leaking, loose or in general need of repair. Your house, and your bills, will thank you!
This is the perfect time to make sure your house is in good working order, so you can enjoy the freedom and excitement of summer. It’s also a great time to get started on any renovations or home improvement projects, so you can enjoy the summer in style. If a new deck or patio is in your stars, a home equity loan or line of credit can help you make it happen. BMI FCU is currently offering a $150 cash bonus when you open a new home equity loan or line of credit! We’re an Equal Housing Lender, and one of our Loan Officers would be more than happy to speak with you when you call 800-233-6880. Read complete details and begin today!