Money Saving Tips for Your Job Search
It's out with the old, and in with the new! Perhaps you want a fresh start to the year with a new job, but aren’t sure if you’re ready or know exactly what to do. At BMI Federal Credit Union we are here to help! Check out our latest tips and tricks for how to search, when to search, what to look out for, and more!
Don’t Jump Until You Know There’s a Landing
You may have heard this one before: It helps to find a new job before leaving your current one. Not only may you face uncertainty in the job market, but it will look more appealing to your potential new employers to be currently employed.
What to Do if You’re Almost or Already Unemployed
Sometimes you must face the job market alone and with no safety net; we understand. It isn’t as bad as you may think.
1. If you’re thinking of leaving your current position, ensure you have three to six months of living expenses tucked away. Calculate your expenses to see how many paychecks you can afford to live without.
2. If you are currently unemployed, keep a steady job-search schedule. Not only will you reach more potential employers, but it will help maintain your motivation and work ethic.
3. Keep a close eye on your finances, as you may need to scale back your expenses if you’re unemployed or planning on being unemployed. Check out My Finance Tool from BMI Federal Credit Union for a quick and easy way to manage all your expenses!
Save Money Building a Robust Resume
If you’re looking for ways to improve the quality of your resume, but have exhausted your list of skills, references, or experience, you may want to consider certifications! Certifications can go far in the hiring room, and they’re easy to complete. Many courses are either free or at low cost. For example: many public agencies keep their certifications open to the public. You can also sign up for free webinars and seminars. These will add quality and training to your resume at no or little cost! This can be especially helpful if you’re making a career change.
Use a Free Online Service for Your Job Search
These days it’s easy to build a resume online with LinkedIn, Indeed, Monster, and other free job-matching sites. Take advantage of these services; they allow you to upload a photo, resume, personal website, portfolio, and more – all for free!
Keep Your Personal Information Safe
Job searching can require filling out applications that require a lot of necessary personal information. Many employers require information that an identity thief may love to get their hands on, like your social security number, address, and previous employment.
1. Include only your city, state, and contact (email and phone) on your resume, and not your full address.
2. Ensure that paper applications that request a social security number are going to the right place and hands, and not left out in the open or at an unattended lobby desk.
3. Keep an eye on your identity during your job search. While this is always a good idea, be extra vigilant for any suspicious activity while you’re passing out personal info. Check out our Identity Theft Resource Center for more great tips on monitoring your identity!
Need a little extra help?
Improving the financial lives of our members and the community we serve means improving your chances at having a more financially stable life. BMI Federal Credit Union offers FREE community workshops to suit all your needs! Check out the calendar today! You can also schedule a Financial Education session with a Certified Financial Coach! For more help, call 614.707.4000, explore our Financial Education Program, or visit us at any of our five branches in Dublin, Westerville, or Columbus.
Love BMI Federal Credit Union so much you want to work here? Visit our hiring page!